This project will provide technical assistance and professional learning to the Alabama Math, Science, and Technology Initiative (AMSTI) at the Alabama State Department of Education (ALSDE). Region 7 Comprehensive Center (R7CC) will provide capacity-building guidance based on Implementation Science to improve the use of evidence-based K-5 math practices. This work will include identifying current state practices in math, establishing a common framework to guide data-informed instructional decision making, identifying evidence-based practices needed to improve K-5 student outcomes, and supporting the improvement and scaling up of the identified math practices. R7CC will collaborate with ALSDE to identify barriers and determine solutions to ensure fidelity of implementation, increase capacity, and encourage sustainability at a larger scale for effective math practices and procedures.
- Collaborating with ALSDE, AMSTI, and AMSTI K-5 Regional Math Specialists to research, identify, and design a framework to guide data-driven instructional decision-making.
- Co-developing and coordinating data-driven implementation plan to promote the use of evidence-based practices in early grades math instruction.
- Collaborating with ALSDE and AMSTI to design professional learning in participating demonstration schools and districts to support the use of a framework to guide data-driven instructional decision-making.
- Collaborating with ALSDE and AMSTI in identifying evidence-based materials and resources geared to the specific needs of teachers and administrators to ensure effective instructional approaches are implemented in schools; and
- Collaborating with ALSDE and AMSTI in refining professional learning systems and support scaling.
As a result, ALSDE will increase organizational capacity to implement a universal framework for data-informed evidence-based practices in K-5 math, increase the use of evidence-based K-5 math practices, and improve the use of evidence-based K-5 math instruction for targeted support.