This Institute of Education Sciences (IES) practice guide is the first edition of the 2014 publication. Literacy and language development for English learners (ELs) at the elementary levels is the focus of this guide. It outlines five evidence-based recommendations, each with a checklist for educators at the school and district level to carry out the recommendations.
The five practices recommended are:
- Screen for reading problems and monitor progress;
- Provide intensive small-group reading interventions;
- Provide extensive and varied vocabulary instruction;
- Develop academic English; and
- Schedule regular peer-assisted learning opportunities.
Four of the five recommendations meet the strong evidence level based on the IES levels of evidence. Recommendation 4 meets the low level of evidence. While this practice guide was published in 2007, its findings and recommendations apply today, and the 2014 follow-up practice guide extends the research to include students at the middle school level, writing instruction, and a more content literacy.
U.S. Department of Education